Hints and Tips
Cycling is beautiful, challenging and fun, practice it in Montaione in Tuscany becomes a unique experience. However, in order to better appreciate the paths you should follow some good rule to have fun safely.
Not all trails are flagged, so it is advisable to get well informed on the route chosen by downloading the route description and a map in .gpx format being careful to follow the directions of the text or of your satellite navigation system.
Here follow 10 tips for a correct and respectful use of the bicycle:
- 1.Always wear a helmet. Although it may be a little uncomfortable, especially in Summer when it's hot, the helmet is an essential accessory that every good rider should wear because it can save your life in case of a fall.
- 2.Find out about the chosen path and surrounding areas, make sure you have enough time to complete the entire route before nightfall. Do not stray from the path. It is useful to bring a compass and a cell phone, making sure that there is signal in the area where your path is.
- 3.Be objective in judging your level of physical training before starting the route, and be aware of your physical limitations.
- 4.Inform always someone else about the paths you intend to follow in the day, especially if you venture on your own.
- 5.Always use extreme caution, especially moderating speed downhill and around corners, and always be ready to see any obstacles calculating a sufficient braking distance. The trails are also suitable for country walks or for trekking, so be careful for people walking.
- 6.Bring plenty of water (or a supplement of salts) and snacks easy to eat to maintain a constant level of energy. Unless you are accompanied by an experienced guide, avoid eating the fruits of the forest and drink water from streams.
- 7.Wear appropriate clothing with breathable fabric and especially appropriate to the temperatures of the period. Get ready to sudden storms, bringing a good raincoat.
- 8.Check your bike before departure. In particular, check the tires because the rugged terrain may damage tem. The unexpected can always happen, so equip yourself with a repair kit for tires and some wrench.
- 9.Be respectful of nature. Do not litter the streets or the trails in the country and avoid unnecessary noises.
- 10.Always obey the signs, prohibitions and signs observing the highway code. Do not travel on trails or roads not signed.